Fonda Mexican

Posted by Unknown on Saturday, August 10, 2013 with No comments
I love the heat, fire, spice and livelihood that Mexican food brings to the table. Dangerously craving Mexican one night, I somehow miraculously managed to persuade A to have Mexican with me that night. Next thing you know, we were at Fonda Mexican on Swan Street.


Fish Taco

From where I was sitting, I could see these tortillas being freshly pressed. With skill and speed, the tortilla guy was churning out around 4 tortillas per minute ! Fresh tortillas was a big tick in my book and only further urged me to order their famous Fish Taco. Wrapped in a freshly made six inch tortilla came a crispy crumbed piece of rockling fish, chopped white onion, pickled strands of carrot, avocado crema and a drizzle of chipotle aioli. Flavours were refreshing and extremely satisfying.


Chopped Beef Burrito

For the burritos, I could not go past the Chopped Beef. Jam packed inside was tender pieces of beef, smokey black beans, fresh cabbage, fluffy quinoa, salsa roja and a dash of chipotle aioli. I happily dug into this bundle of goodness and could not put it down - because it was so damn good and also the fear of the whole burrito collapsing into a huge mess if I did dare to put it down. A little messy to eat, but what burrito isn't? 



Chicken Quesadilla


The last dish of the night was the Chicken Quesadilla, and a dish neither A or I were quite fond of. Encased in a large twelve inch corn tortilla encased Bannockburn roast chicken, queso fresco, wild rocket, celery root and avocado crema. The dish looked exceptionally tasty, however the taste was not as we had expected. Bite after bite, all I could taste was cheese - not the creamy, mild queso fresco I had in mind, but the typical melted Tasty Cheese you would have in a toastie. But hey, that could work for some people, just not me.

In a very relaxed and chilled atmosphere, Fonda made an excellent spot for a quick bite to eat - order and pay first, then eat and be merry. Somewhere, I would definietly return for that Chopped Beef Burrito for sure.


Fonda Mexican
248 Swan Street 
Richmond

Fonda Mexican on Urbanspoon