Auction Rooms

Posted by Unknown on Thursday, January 30, 2014 with No comments
It was an insanely hot day, but the inside of Auction Rooms was cool and breezy - both the people and the room. The industrial-chic interior of this converted warehouse was absolutely gorgeous and I found myself absolutely captivated with it's rustic ambience and open space. 



Here at Auction Rooms, they're quite serious about their coffee (and the rest of Melbourne I suppose) - roasting and serving up Small Batch Roasting Co Specialty Coffee from beans sourced from the world's best coffee-growing regions. 

Even when we were waiting in line for a seat, we were asked if we were interested in sampling their filter coffee of the day - the Colombian Geisha. The friendly waiter proceeded to explain the origins of the coffee and asked us to spot hints of stone fruit and chocolate notes. Excellent service, I must say. 


Iced Coffee

Served super chilled, my Iced Coffee was bang on - rich, sweet and certainly worked to hit the spot. 


House-style Lemonade

Simple and fresh, T ordered Auction Room's house-style lemonade - perfect for a hot summer day. 



Olive Oil Poached Tasmanian Trumpeter

Onto the food now - and boy was the brunch menu adventurous. With us oo-ing and ah-ing, I hoped the waitress understood why we took so long to decide to place our bids.

In the end, the Olive Oil Poached Tasmanian Trumpeter had me sold. The fish had a beautiful firm white flesh, which was moist and tasty. Even though it was poached in olive oil, the fish was not oily at all. The soft omelette pillow, reminiscent of clouds went surprisingly well with the chewy sweet-fleshed pippies. 




Zucchini Blossom Salad

T, on the other hand went for a light, fresher option - a salad of zucchini blossom, Lebanese purslane, manchego cheese - all studded with puffed quinoa and drizzled in a muscatel vinaigrette.

I really do wonder how it took me so long to visit Auction Rooms. I mean, it satisfies every criteria - good brunch, good coffee, lovely space and lovely people. I feel like I've been missing out.


Auction Rooms
103-107 Errol Street

North Melbourne, VIC

Auction Rooms on Urbanspoon