Hinoki Japanese Pantry

Posted by Unknown on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 with 1 comment
Hinoki Japanese Pantry is pretty much all I can think about these days. And let me tell you why, Hinoki is far from your average sushi bar. Not only do they serve up amazing sushi, it's also a Japanese grocery store too - making life just easy peasy Japanese-y.




Nosé Maki Mix

Suffering from FOMO (fear of missing out), I chose the nosé maki mix which allowed me to have a little bit of everything. 



Each maki roll was packed with the most perfect grains of rice - plump and vinegary, hugging fine shreds of carrot and cucumber, and then adorned with the freshest ingredients. In order, there was salmon with ailoi and tobiko; tuna with spicy mayo; and king fish with yuzu kosho and yuzu tobikko. 



Let's not forget about the seared salmon with a nutty sesame dressing; and the nasu dengaku !

I particularly enjoyed the nasu dengaku - grilled eggplant glazed with a sweetened miso. The Salmon Aioli was also memorable, with the salmon so lovely and tender, creamy aioli and bursts of tobikko.

No doubt about it, Hinoki has left a deep impression on me, and I find myself day after day dreaming of their sushi. I do think I may have it figured out though - the secret to their sushi must be the ridiculously fresh produce, great variety and of course, all wrapped with love. I cannot wait to go back.


Hinoki Japanese Pantry
279 Smith Street 
Fitzroy, VIC 

Hinoki Japanese Pantry on Urbanspoon