Dead Man Espresso

Posted by Unknown on Monday, May 20, 2013 with 1 comment
Dead Man Espresso provides a delightful spot for a coffee or two. Located on Market Street  away from the hustle and bustle of Coventry, DME is home to coffee lovers and foodies alike.  The space was stylish and oozed cool vibes. With unique decor here and there, my eyes got a work out from darting around the place.





My lunching partner today and I both agreed that the coffee here were amazing, and really stood out from the other coffees we have had before. Very keen to expand my knowledge of coffee, I took note to ask about the house blend. The flavours of the Seven Seeds house blend ( 50% Colombia, 25% Costa Rica, and 25% Brazil) was described to have flavours of sweet stone fruit, balanced acidity and a chocolatey body. The espresso cut nicely through the milk, and the temperature was just right. I hope Seven Seeds consider making coffee pods so I could have this every single day !


Sautéed winter mushrooms on herb and gruyere creamy 
white polenta, herb salad & slow cooked egg

As a dish that was highly recommended by the waitress, I had high hopes. In terms of texture and flavour, the chewy mushrooms paired the polenta nicely. However, I found the polenta was quite bland. I could see the herbs and the gruyere with my eyes, but my taste buds begged to differ.


Panko crumbed chicken schnitzel 
with pickled apple fennel slaw & lime mayo

The flavours of the slaw and tangy lime mayo were a great match of sweet, sour and savoury. Though, what wasn't on par was the chicken. As it was described to be panko crumbed, I had imagined airy crumbed chicken, crunch with every munch. Instead, the chicken was a little too moist and heavy.

Food wise, I was quite underwhelmed. I had planned to go to DME solely for their BLT, but was sadly informed it was sold out. Pretty bad luck for me. However, my flat white was an absolute pleasure and sure woke me up from the dead.



Dead Man Espresso

35 Market Street
South Melbourne


Dead Man Espresso on Urbanspoon